What if complex systems like
personal finance, the courts, insurance, student loans, government services, health care, retirement, estate planning, the tax code
were more human-friendly?
At Wise Design Studio, we design & research new ways to help ordinary people be smarter when navigating these systems.
User-Centered Design can create better tools, interfaces, and systems that help lay people deal with all the big & confusing systems we’re expected to navigate every day.
We call this approach Wise Design,
and this webpage is our homebase for collecting good examples of people already doing this work, as well as more systematic patterns, insights, and methods to support Wise Design.
Our Wise Design Research Questions
- How might we help people in their decisions & strategies, to figure out how to best navigate a complex system?
- How can we help designers and engineers to develop tools that make users smarter and empowered?
- How do we help people value long-term outcomes and engage them in planning for them?
- How might we use data-driven, intelligent systems to help people envision outcomes, and make smarter choices?
- How might we streamline the complex processes that systems ask of people into bite-size workflows?